So lots of people haven't heard that the Church has changed their stance on the 1 year supply thing. They no longer wish us to have one year supply of the basics, they want us to have three months of the stuff we eat everyday and then 9 months of the basics on top of that. ( the good thing about this is everything rotates pretty quickly) So I am going to start posting some of the recipes that I have been stocking up on as part of my Three month supply. If you have any easy recipes that use shelf stable ingredients and use some the basics(rice, beans, wheat...etc.), leave them in a comment for me and everyone else can partake! The way I did it was to start with dinner and choose 7 meals that I can make 12 times. (7 days in a weeks, 12 weeks in 3 months) So I can easily grab an extra of something I need for these recipes every time I head to the store. (I try to choose things that can store on a shelf or in the freezer, I try not to use recipes with sour cream, eggs, and milk, unless I am willing to used the powdered kind.. cause who knows what kind of conditions we would need these things in.
Now for 4 of my dinner meals I chose my Sweet & sour Chicken with rice, my homemade chili and corn bread, spaghetti or other shaped pasta with bread sticks, and Taco chip dip. I always stock up on frozen vegetables when they go one sale (canned works too) so that in the event we had to live on this stuff we could get some vegetables in with dinner.
Let me know if you have any good ones! Down the road a little, I will post what I have done for breakfast, lunch and snack time...(even adults need snack time) So stay tuned!
1. Sweet & Sour Chicken
8 oz apricot preserves
1 C. Catalina dressing ( I heard the Russia dressing works well too)
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
mix together and pour over chicken breasts and bake at 400 degrees until cooked through,serve on top of rice and with vegetables (stir fry mix is always good with this one)
2. Homemade Chili
Brown 1/2 to 1 lb of ground beef (or buffalo if you have it) drain, add:
1 can (15-16oz) dark red kidney beans (rinsed)
1 Can tomato soup
1/2 can water
1 TBSP chilli powder
onion or onion powder to taste
(feel free to add stuff like frozen corn or anything else you like in your chili)
Warm through and serve with cornbread
Cornbread
Mix:
1/2 C. Whole wheat flour
1/2 C. White flour
1 C. Corn meal
4 TBSP sugar
1 TBSP baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
then in seperate bowl mix:
2 eggs
1 C. milk
1/4 C. oil
Stir wet and dry ingredients together just til moistened, (the less you mix the better)
Bake in greased 8X8 pan at 425 for 20 min or until toothpick comes out clean
3. Spaghetti or other shaped pasta
boil noodles, serve with sauce of your choice, I serve with bread sticks.. see below
Bread sticks
preheat oven to 350
add 1 TBSP yeast to 1 1/2 C. warm water
inseperate bowl mix:
2 TBSP sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 1/2 to 4 cups flour (use whole wheat white or a mixture of the two)
Blend together and let rise for 10 min (if you have time if not just keep going) spread in to shortcake pan and bake for11-15 minutes then use a pizza cutter to cut into "sticks"
if you want to make spread, mix:
1/4 C. butter (melted)
1/4 C mayonnaise
1/4 C. Parmesan Cheese
1/4 tsp parsley flakes
1/2 tsp garlic salt
spread on top of bread sticks after baking
4.Taco Dip:
Brown 1 lb of ground hamburger (if you want to add taco seasoning go ahead)
while your doing that, in 9x13 pan spread a large can of refried beans into the bottom of pan... once the meat is cooked through place that on top of the beans, then spread a layer of salsa on top of meat then throw on a layer of cheese (cheedar or Mexican blend) on top of the salsa, then spread a layer of sour cream on top of that, cook in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes until warmed through... serve in tortillas or on tortilla chips.. a great frozen meal or for leftovers...
So let me know if you guys try any of these out, if you have any great recipes you are stocking up on, or if you want more!
3 comments:
these are good ideas.... we will have to try some of these recipes out. Thanks!
OH MY GOODNESS!!! PEEWEE!!!
You have two kids! Wow how time flies! They are darling:) Where are you now?! I guess i could go through your blog and see what you have been up to! Holy cow i'm so excited that you found me!! I'll have to go back through my girls camp pictures- yay! We'll def need to keep in touch:)
OH MY GOODNESS!!! PEEWEE!!!
You have two kids! Wow how time flies! They are darling:) Where are you now?! I guess i could go through your blog and see what you have been up to! Holy cow i'm so excited that you found me!! I'll have to go back through my girls camp pictures- yay! We'll def need to keep in touch:)
Post a Comment