Wednesday, January 14

Big day

So yesterday was a big day. It started with an appointment with the radiologist Dr. Hoppe. He gave me all the risks of the radiation therapy I will be getting and more details. Radiation will be 13 days long with one "mock therapy" session where I won't actually be getting any radiation but they want to make sure ever thing will go correctly. My sessions will be short (5-15 minutes, monday through friday. Although radiation could cause other cancers later on, breast cancer being one, and hypothyroidism (because my thyroid will be in the radiation area) risks are low. I am getting a VERY low dose of radiation and because of it should have very many side effects. Mayby nausea for a few days at the begginging and maybe some skin irratation there at the end. I do have to start getting mammorgrams and the other test (forgot what it is called) in 8 years instead of when I am 40. and I do have to start thinking heart healthy becuase my heart maybe affected. If I ever get diabetes or high blood pressure I am suppose to treat those aggressivly. I should start eating right and exercising regularly and keeping my weight in check. This I am very excited about. It gives me a reason to make myself a priority. I have always put the money elsewhere... (should I take a class at the gym.. pilates, or yoga? or maybe a swim class at the rec department?) Yes I am still cheap, so of course I will start small.. but this could be fun! by the way half of this stuff I am just putting here so I can remember it later.

Then I got my picc line pulled out! Serious seperation issues here... that picc line had been though a lot with me and had saved me from passing out more than a few times! It was pretty cool to see them pull it out. All 22 cm of it. We thought it was a lot longer than that!- pics to come of my old friend.

Then I got my CT scan done... We went back to Stanford at 4 and got me all put together in radiation. I laid on this big linear accelerator and they made a pillow that is formed to my head, and then then put this mesh mask over my face and bolted me to the table so I couldn't move, then they gave me three tattoos! yes tattoos!.. ( I kept telling myself that this is not what the Prophet had in mind when he told us not to get tattoos!) they are three little dots, blue, all below my sternum one on each side and one in the middle (you would never know they were there with out me telling you) but I have to say that it was painful and that people are crazy for getting them! They use mine to make sure I am lined up in the machine correctly so the right parts of my body will get the radiation. I am hoping that the worst part of this radiation thing will be the whole bolting me to the table thing because it really sucks. Tyler asked me "so how ya doing?" and I couldn't move!.. couldn't move my mouth to talk, couldn't shake my head or anything. I was stuck to the table!.. yikes.. Oh well, I guess I can handle it for 5-15 minutes for 14 days. (but I will be counting down the days)

So all great news, low doses, only 13 short sessions, no more picc line, and I buzzed my hair!.. it is now 3/4 inches long, all over. It sticks strait up on top.. so hilarious and kinda lays down in the back. It was a very emotional experince but I really do like it a lot better now. (should have done it a while ago- pics to come) anyways... that was my very big day!

9 comments:

Em and Ms said...

Good luck with everything--I'm glad you have good news. That would freak me out being bolted to the table too. You're brave.

Kristi said...

Its so good to here you be SO positive even after ALL you've been through. Best of luck with the radiation- it's good to have it only be two weeks and then be DONE! Hang in there, the Lord will bless you (and your family!)

Jackee said...

I think that would be awful being strapped down. I guess I have a fear of not being in control or able to do what I want. I'm glad it's only a few minutes. I hope it all goes well and that there are no side effects! I can't wait to see the pics. We love you and are praying for you.

Anonymous said...

I am excited you are so close to being done. You forgot to mention the massages that Tyler will be forced to get while you are bolted to a table! Poor guy!

Catherine said...

Actually he is going to start subbing so he will not get to enjoy that very many more times.

Gigi said...

I'm glad you had such a good "big day"!

Kori said...

I just ran across your blog on my cousin's. I am so sorry to hear about your fight with cancer. My mom is going through treatment and I can't even imagine how a young mother would do it. Stay brave and know your in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

Wow, no kidding big day! Sounds like lots of new experiences for sure. We're looking forward to seeing you guys in the near future! If you ever need workout buddies, we're here for ya! Heaven knows I need all the motivation I can get. Glad to hear that treatments are wrapping up!

whitney said...

Look at you w/three whole tattoos-you rebel you. AND a buzzed haircut. Way to live life on the edge.

As for the bolting down, I bet that totally sucks. I had to be strapped down (except for my head) for ezra's c-section and it was horrible. I feel your pain in that.

Good luck w/the radiation and yay! for finally putting yourself and your health a little higher on the priority list. Us moms seem to have a hard time doing that.