Wednesday, April 15

Wal-mart finds, frezzer jam, and an apple tree

So I got a call yesterday, Wal-mart has strawberries on sale for 50 cents a tub.. So I went down, bought a bunch, found the gamma lids I've been wanting to buy for my 5 gallon buckets and got some pectin. Then came home and made some yummy frezzer jam! Of course my kids ate a whole pond of strawberries between them and I need to make some more jam but I love getting a great deal!...
Then the other day we went to costco for diapers, then we walked out with two blueberry plants and an apple tree!.. What?! We were looking for bluebery plants because Ty got a blueberry a couple of weeks ago (and they pollinate better with two) so we were looking for a second one, well costco only sells them in twos... so now we have three blue berry bushs! Oh and the apple tree, that was us being crazy! our kids eat apples like crazy so we figured it would pay off... even with the spraying every year, it is a semi-dwarf tree so it won't get too big, problem is, you really need a second one to get it pollinated, so now we are one a hunt for another apple tree, preferably green, (the one we got is red) semi-dwarf or dwarf... Other than that our seedlings aren't really seedlings anymore, and it doesn't look like we wilL be able to plant them any time soon, it snowed last nght, and is still snowing! like 2.5 inches!... I sure hope the plants can hold up inside for a while, I heard that some peopLe wait until June to plant outside... yikes!
Oh and I got a calling on Sunday, I am the cannery specialist! :)

2 comments:

Jackee said...

Congrats on the calling, it fits! You'll love your tree and your bushes.

janica said...

so you're next post, should be your recipe for freezer jam.. I LOVE strawberry freezer jam, but lack the knowledge on how to create it:)