Thursday, April 16

Answer to the request....

Strawberry freezer jam recipe...

Go to Wal-Mart and buy a box of fruit pectin (found on the canning isle this time of year or on the jello isle normally) Read box.. follow directions.
No, I am just kidding it really is that easy if you have done it before, but for those of us who are a little behind the times (this is my first time) here is some extra info: There are a couple of different brands, I use the "Ball" brand, but I know a lot of other people who use the "sure jel" brand. I have tried the "no sugar added fruit pectin" box and followed the freezer jam directions, you can use the same box to cook jam, or cook jelly, but I am a freezer jam girl myself. Then there is the actual "no cook freezer jam" packet. Each box/packet will tell you how many pounds or cups of smashed fruit you will need. somewhere between 3 or 4 cups is the norm. I personally am too lazy to crush them with a potato smasher as the directions say so I get out my trusty blender and blend them up.. just enough to make they "crushed" or if you don't actually like strawberry chunks in your jam go ahead and puree, it doesn't matter, then you mix with the pectin (in the no cook version) or in the cook version you cook the pectin with some juice and add the fruit. I have to say it was a blast! I made a batch yesterday and one today. One was the no cook method and one was the cook, The both taste great. The cook method had less sugar because it had juice to sweetin it naturally.. then you put it in your freezer containers and freeze! Easy pezy!
My sister in law says she makes one batch and then she purees the rest of her fruit and puts it in a freezer bag so that it takes up less room until she gets low and then all she has to do it take out one bag and a box of pectin, instead of having all these jars of already made jam taking up extra room in her freezer. Anyways I may have made it sound a lot harder than it is... but really it was easy and fun!

No comments: