Monday, September 29

OK.. here is the story..

Ok so the news travelled quickly... I just want to let you all know that I am fine.. we don't have any definite answers.. we are in the waiting mode right now
Two or so weeks ago I noticed a lump on my neck and after a few days of shrugging it off, I mentioned it Tyler and he being across the room from me told me He could see it, I thought hmm that is weird. Then Tyler talked to his Brother, Dr. Mark and asked him about it... he said go see the doctor.. and I thought.. that is weird. well it came up again while I was making appointments for Kevin's 3 year and Cameron's 1 year well baby apt, I Figured I could go in and show the doctor so that I could check it off my list. He ordered blood work to see if I had Hypothyroidism (it runs in the family).. blood work comes back normal the next day and the doctor schedules an ultrasound to see if it is a thyroid goiter.. So in I go into the ultrasound. Tyler wierdy decides to go with me and gets a babysitter even though we know we won't be getting any results that day anyways.. weird I know. So that was Wednesday, they show me that left side of my thyroid and how weird it looks, this "lump" is 5-6 centimeters and usually goiters are about 2 centimeters. Worry and fear sets in.. the ultrasound lady says she is gonna get the pathologist to come in and look at it. They decided it would be best to do a biopsy and do it right then! I don't even get to sit up.. they do three biopsies, by needle...(I almost pass out about it just thinking about it) and I come home with a sore neck and an ice pack. Friday they call with the results.. p.s. that wasn't actually your thyroid (the cells wern't thyroid cells) they think they were actually lymph cells and they are thinking it is more Lymphoma or Hodgkins lymphoma. He says he is sorry that he has to tell me this over the phone because he knows I will have questions but that he wants to make appointment with a surgeon to have a (larger) sample taken of this "lump" so that they can "get me to the right people" which in my head means an Oncologist. There is still a possiblility that this isn't cancer at all but Tuesday at 10:30 I go in for a pre-Op consultaion.. we don't know when surgery will be or if I will stay over night, if they will test the sample while I am on the table, or if I will come home and wait some more but that is the idea... I may have Cancer.. just saying that is kinda sureal. Long term.. if I do have lymphoma there is surgery and Chemo in store... so that is the story.. don't feel bad if you did not get a personal call.. we were kinda keeping it on the down low until we found out everything... but really we are laughing and making jokes becuase at this point there is nothing else to do.
Me after my FNA- Fine needle aspiration

10 comments:

Kristi said...

All I can say is WOW, things in life can change SO quickly, can't they? I am very impressed with you attitudes about keeping positive and "funny" but I can't say that I'm surprised at your optimism. That is definitely one of you qualities I have ALWAYS admired (even as your "boss")!!! Best of luck and we'll pray for you and the doctors.

Kelsey said...

I have to say that I am quite surprised by this but I am glad you're handling it well. I hope things turn out for the better. Glad to hear that your hubby is there for you, even though you may have thought it was weird.

Em and Ms said...

You have such a great attitude, but I'm sure you're probably a little scared and confused too. I have a friend going through almost the same thing right now. Hang in there and keep us all updated. We'll be praying for you, that's for sure. Hopefully no matter what happens you'll continue to have support and help with your family.

The Mothership said...

wow! that is a little frightening. I hope you figure out what it is soon and how to handle the situation. Keep laughing and making jokes, that will help lift your spirits! Your in our thoughts and prayers!

Jen said...

I am in awe at your positive attitude! It definitely sounds like you are handling this trial just as you should. Again, we will keep you in our prayers!

Jamie said...

Catherine, you are such an inspiration to all of us! Stay optimistic! We love you!

Rach and Clark said...

We are so sorry to read about this. I must say, you seem to be coping well with all this new information. continue to pray and we will all do the same!

Riggs Familia said...

Oh No!!! I'm so sorry! How scary. Hang in there. Our prayers are for you.

Adams said...

I am so proud of you. I love the great out look on life that you have. You are in our prays too.

Sonja said...

I know I'm coming in late here, but I had to scour your blog for the story and cancer updates. I am glad treatments are working and pray that cancer won't rear it's ugly head again.