So today was my first treatment.. I am officially a cancer patient.. :) Day one down and weeks to go. I was there like all day and about to fall asleep at the wheel so I will try to make this quick. Went in had my blood drawn, had lunch while my doctor ran late.. ( apparently is is habitual with her) Went back had my doc apt and then went upstairs for chemo, I got a window set which apparently is the coveted seat.. lol. The first lady couldn't get a vein in my right arm so another lady came back a did one in the other arm, got it on the first try...woohoo! They are trying to talk me into getting a pick line, but I really don't want one. So all in all 4 stabbings occured! hence the pin cusion lead in. They got me doesd up on anti-nusea meds first thing and then proceeded to inject me with a red chemo drug,(my pee is already red) and clear one that cuases numbness in fingers and toes (My left fingers went a little numb while it went in)-"this is the one that will make your hair fall out"..."lovely" then they put me on one that is "tolerated well", which of course gave me a horrible metal taste in my mouth and that was on a drip line so it took an hour.. all in all we got there at 12:30 and didn't leave until 7:30... I am on 6 differnt Rx pills at home and am already greatful for the nausea ones becuase the taste in my mouth alone is makeing me nauseous- think pregnacy nausea. Anyways, I made it through.. didn't pass out (although I think I would have if my feet hadn't been elevated- had the ringing in my ears and the twinkly vison and everything) But I made it and now I just need to sleep (I get to take a sedative nausea pill tonight!)- For Mark who I am sure is trying to guess the drugs I have been describing, the three were, Adriamycin, Velban, Cytoxan
Oh and I found out the plan from here on out: 8 weeks of this. 2 weeks rest, 3 weeks radiation, 5 days a week, and then tests every 3 months for the next 2 years, every 6 months for the 2 years after that and then every year after that. There is the plan stan!
7 comments:
Um, I am worried about you being "about to fall asleep at the wheel", maybe ya need a driver! Well thanks for keeping us posted with everything. I am glad that Tyler gets to come down and stay for a while that will be NICE! Hope you are feeling okay, can't wait to see you guys!
WOW!!! That's just about sums up what you're in for, right!!! THANK goodness for modern medicine and drugs, right? Keep up the positive attitude! We love you!
I'm so sorry you have to go through all of this. Pregnancy nausea and you don't even get the baby. I will constantly be thinking about you and praying for you. I told Adam you started chemo yesterday and he asked if your hair was falling out. I said not yet. They do have some really cute and stylish hats now. I bought flowers for my girls' hair and the lady selling them said she wears them herself and loves them on hats. Anyway for the future... it's a cute idea. Take care of yourself and make sure you get the rest you need. We love you!
Wow. I can't believe your line when you said you were officially a cancer patient. Man girl. Hang in there! We missed you while you were in Denver! I remember your mom telling me that she was from here (although, I believe she was the only person from here who said hated it). How's California? Do you like where you're staying? How are the kids adjusting to all this stuff? I'm so happy that Tyler gets to be with you for thanksgving :)
I'd go for the pic-line. It sounds worse than it really is and it certainly saves your other veins. Of course, if you really only need it once a week, maybe the pin cushion feeling is worth not having the pic-line in the rest of the week!
Catherine, I too would suggest the pick line. SAVE your veins, they don't get any better with abuse of getting stuck all the time and every week is worse.
I'm always so impressed at your positive attitude. I'm sure it's no fun at all being a human pincushion...or toxic dump for that matter :P (((hugs)))
Post a Comment